Sunday, March 29, 2009

I Am Persuaded

2 Timothy 1:12

For many years, this verse has been one of my favorites. It speaks of a firm conviction, not in a doctrine or a belief, for those things waver and change as we grow older, but a conviction in a person. It is “whom I have believed”, not “what I have believed”. What I believe has changed more than once, and will no doubt change some more, but whom I have believed in has been Jesus Christ for a long time.

Not only do I believe in Him, as I am sure you do as well, but I am persuaded that He is able to take care of every single thing in my life. I have committed both my heart and my life to Him, and I believe that both are in very capable hands.

I realize that the end is coming fast upon us all. We all have an appointment with death, and barring the return of our Lord Jesus in the clouds, we will keep that appointment. “That day” is approaching, but it does not stop my Lord Jesus from providing for me and protecting me in the meantime.

Some function in the powers of persuasion. I do not claim to have that gift, though I will try with all of my efforts to persuade all who will listen of the greatness of God’s love and the sacrifice of Jesus. Being persuaded is an absolute necessity if one is to do something great. You must be persuaded that it is worth the time and effort, and you must be persuaded that you are the right person for the job.

Paul told the church at Rome, “Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind” (Romans 14:5). He is talking about personal convictions in this passage, how some think you should honor one holy day and another thinks it’s not important. Regardless of the subject, the fact that he said it is important. Whatever you go after, you must be fully persuaded that it is worth it. Halfway persuaded is not enough. Halfway persuaded leads to half-hearted effort, which leads to worthless results.

When Paul stood before King Agrippa and the Roman procurator Porcius Festus, he shared his testimony of how he had come to know Christ as his savior. Festus accused Paul of being insane, and Paul responded that he was completely sober, “For the king knoweth of these things, before whom also I speak freely: for I am persuaded that none of these things are hidden from him; for this thing was not done in a corner” (Acts 26:26). Again, Paul is persuaded that his words are working, and that Festus is under conviction, hiding behind his accusations.

Paul turns to King Agrippa, who is over the Jews in Palestine, and appeals to his Jewish heritage and knowledge of scripture, asking him if he believes the prophets. “Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian” (Acts 26:28). Here is a man who is “almost persuaded”, but not all of the way persuaded. It is a dreadful thing to be almost persuaded of Christ and His finished work, but never “fully persuaded” in your own mind and heart.

We must each make up our minds as to whether or not we are fully persuaded that Jesus is who He claims to be. Do we really believe that His work is a finished work? Do we really believe that He has forgiven us for all of our sins? Do we really believe that He will take care of us? If you are persuaded, then let Him take your burdens. Rest today dear saint, in Him.

No comments: