Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Swap

One of the most eye-opening things for me, as I began to understand the finished work of Jesus, was the knowledge of what Jesus did for me at the cross, so that I could get the opposite. If effect, Jesus swapped places with me, as I was the one who deserved to die for my own sins. I should have been punished by God for my law-breaking, but Jesus took my punishment. I should have been disciplined for my own peace, but Jesus bore my discipline (Isaiah 53:5).

The following is a list of things that Jesus took, so that you could get the opposite. It could be better said that Jesus took what you deserved so that you could have what He earned. Notice that you have not earned any of the good things, for salvation comes only by faith, not by works (Ephesians 2:8, 9). This list is not conclusive, as grace is always showing us what Jesus paid for.

• Jesus was made to be sin, so that you could be made the righteousness of God (2 Corinthians 5:21).
• Jesus was naked at the cross so that you could be clothed in robes of righteousness (John 19:23; Luke 15:22).
• Jesus was made poor, so that you could be made rich (2 Corinthians 8:9).
• Jesus was cursed so that you would be blessed (Galatians 3:13, 14).
• Jesus died in the dark so that you could live in the light (Matthew 27:45).
• Jesus cried, “My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?” so that you could cry, “Daddy, Daddy, why are you so good to me?” (Matthew 27:46; Romans 8:15).
• Jesus bore the crown of thorns, which represent the cares of this life (Matthew 13:22), so that the cares of this life would never trouble your mind.
• Jesus had His heart pierced so that your heart would never be broken again (John 19:34).
• Jesus drank the sour wine so that your teeth would never be set on edge (John 19:30; Ezekial 18:1-3).
• Jesus’ body was broken so that yours could always be whole (Matthew 26:26).
• Jesus was disciplined of His Father so that you could always be at peace with the Father (Isaiah 53:5).
• Jesus bore the full brunt of God’s judgment against sin so that you would never bear any of God’s judgment against sin (John 12:31, 32; John 3:36).
• Jesus defeated the devil so that you would never have to fight him (Hebrews 2:14).

The list could go on and on but I hope you get the point. Jesus did it all so that we get it all!

Every believer should apply the previous list to memory as best as possible. It will work as a defense against the accusations of the enemy who is a defeated foe, but he doesn’t want you to know that! As you see what Christ paid for in your life, you will begin to rest in the finished work as a truly finished work.

Go in His grace today!

No comments: