Thursday, January 14, 2010

As If the Cross Never Happened

2 Chronicles 7:14

This response of God to Solomon seems to be one of the most frequently quoted promises of God in the Old Testament. I have seen entire revivals and camp meetings make this verse their theme. I have heard sermons on it by preachers of all types of denominations and styles. It would appear as if this one verse is widely regarded as the single most important verse in the entirety of God’s Word as it relates to how God moves among the church. This conclusion is entirely wrong!

2 Chronicles 7:14 is God’s response to His own statement of verse 13. In that verse He says: “If I shut up heaven that there be no rain, or if I command the locusts to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among my people; If my people…” (2 Chronicles 7:13, 14). Verse thirteen ends with a semi-colon, and verse 14 is a continuation. God is saying that if He sends something as judgment, then the only way for it to be taken off is if the people humble themselves, beg Him and turn from their wickedness. Only then will He even hear them, and then He will forgive them and heal them. These are the actions of a God that is angry with sin and rebellion. These are the actions of an Old Covenant God.

What if we were to emphasize another promise of God in the Old Testament with as much fervor as we do this one? How about Isaiah 54:7-10? “For a small moment have I forsaken thee; but with great mercies will I gather thee. In a little wrath I hid my face from thee for a moment; but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the Lord thy redeemer. For this is as the waters of Noah unto me: for as I have sworn that the waters of Noah should no more go over the earth; so have I sworn that I would not be wroth with thee, nor rebuke thee. For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee.”

This promise is God saying that because of Isaiah 53, where it pleased the Lord to bruise Jesus and God was “satisfied” with the death of His Son (verses 10, 11), He will no longer be angry with us! He was angry with Jesus, so that we could be blessed. God takes this so serious that He views the cross as He does the promise to Noah. Never again will he flood the earth, and never again will He judge you for sin.

Some are preaching the Old Testament as if the cross never happened. They teach that God curses Christians when they sin or when they skip church or don’t read their Bibles or don’t put tithes in the offering. God has certainly dealt with mankind in this manner before, but Jesus came and placed Himself under the curse, for us, so that we would not be cursed (Galatians 3:13), and that Abraham’s blessings of promise could come upon the whole world through Jesus Christ (Galatians 3:14).

Saint, rest in the assurance that God will never be angry with you again. You are His child and He cares for you. This does not mean that He will not discipline you and train you, but His blessings are not waiting on your humility and your turning. Your humility is why you are saved in the first place. It was that humility that brought grace into your heart. “God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace to the humble” (James 4:6).

(Need more on this subject? Contact the ministry and request Pastor Paul’s sermon by the same title, “As If the Cross Never Happened”.)

No comments: